Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Home on the Range

Pastel
14 x 18
140lb Cold Press Watercolor

Asked to tackle this piece as a retirement gift...
I worked from two reference photos.
One was of the property and one was of the subjects
headed back from a hunting trip.

I tore edges of a large piece of watercolor paper
stretched it on a board.

Started sketching the landscape and figured out
how I could get the figures worked in as though they fit naturally.
Once I liked the composition
I layed in an underpainting in watercolor.
Then began to apply the layers of pasel,
starting with hard nupastel
and working up to soft sennelier and rembrant.

"Enjoying success requires the ability to adapt. 
Only being open to change
will you have a true opportunity
to get the most from your talent."
-Nolan Ryan-

Thanks for stopping in... more to come!!









No comments:

Post a Comment