Friday, February 4, 2011

Coffee Break


Coffee Break
8 x 10
Mixed Media

"A tree is know by it's fruit,
A man by his deeds.
A good deed is never lost;
He who sows courtesy reaps friendship,
and he who
plants kindness
gathers love."
-Basil-

Completely open to anything today, I found an old photo
I had snapped one day in St. Petersburg of an outdoor cafe/coffee shop.
There were other people in the photo...
 but I really liked focusing in on the one woman in a
thoughtful spot under the tree. 
She was enjoying a book and having a cup of joe.

Without spending lots of time
I did a quick sketch of what I wanted with Ink
on a small piece of pastel paper.
I added a  bit of color with hard and soft pastels.
Sprayed the drawing, but felt like I could do more with it.
I applied adhesive and mounted the paper onto a piece of old canvas.
I then applied some layers of acrylic paint in different directions and green values.
I liked what was coming out,
but wanted to add a quote or text to tie
more ink into the piece.
I found this quote I loved and painted it in.

What are we really without kindness we give and
recieve to our family, friends and even complete strangers?

All good things are rooted in kindness.
And when you have this in your soul,
you can completely savor 
every moment
of life...
and you can truly feel content in those quiet moments,
like the feeling you get from a sunny morning
with a good book and cup of coffee!




No comments:

Post a Comment