Sunday, January 16, 2011

A Day at the Beach

A Day at the Beach
10 x 16
Mat Board
"Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities.  Seize common occasions and make them great.  Weak men wait for opportunities; strong men make them."
-Orison Swett Marden-

I love this quote...
so many times life is what you make of it...
it's up to you. 
Find out what you enjoy to do and do it!

I've used this many times so far in life, here are just a few examples.

When I dreamed of playing basketball in college I went to the driveway and shot baskets.
When I dreamed of making wedding cakes I got some books and ingredients and baked.
When I dreamed to being an artist, I found instructions, supplies, practiced and went to italy.
I've used this theory on and on...

And if they don't have it...
Start it!

Anything is possible.

For this piece I was drawn to another photo taken at the beach in San Clemente, CA
A scene you see at most any beach, completely ordinary, I was excited to add another dimension to the scene with pieces of torn fabric and papers to make it extraordinary. 
Layers of acrylic paint were added with a brush and palette knife to keep it loose.  I wanted to imply the figures but not an idenity I left out details in the faces...
so they could insinuate just about any child playing in the sand!
When you look up close there are patterns of fish peeking through in the water on the paper and the fabric pattern in the sand looks like a vintage scroll pattern.  I chose to use the cursive text paper as well by the figures to represent how they would be chit chatting together while they play in the sand.
It was  fun design process and liked using the bold summer colors in the
umbrella and the beach chair with a towel thrown on top!

Don't let everyday be ordinary...
Be your best today... who knows what tomorrow brings...
Everyday can be a day at the beach!











No comments:

Post a Comment