Sunday, January 2, 2011

Set Sail

New ventures for 2011...
Palette knife painting
Acrylic on Canvas
8 x 11
Starting the new year feeling inspired by a photo I had taken at Rye Beach, New Hampshire this past summer... thought I would continue off from yesterday with another boat painting.  When I took the photo it was a misty gray day and the boat was off in the distance...there was something calming about watching it out on the water.
The point of the quick painting today was to paint in a limited palette using only a palette knife to apply colors.  Using quick short strokes to render the sail boat without too much detail...
since I usually do portrait work in pencil and very fine details, it is refreshing to completely alter the creative process and think only about the big blocks of color without many layers and working in loose strokes allowing the paint to create the image in stead of my hand.
Thanks for stopping by....
let's see what tomorrow brings!!!

1 comment:

  1. I really like your palette knife work. Also the mood of the N.O. musician piece! Anna

    ReplyDelete