Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Lazy Daisies

Lazy Daisies
8 x 10
Mixed Media Collage
I begin with an idea and then it becomes something else.




This quote embodies the result of today's piece.
I started with a photo of daisies I had taken during the summer.
Something fun about painting daisies on a gray winter day!
I had tossed around some ideas of mixed media and then an idea totally changed the piece.
Since daisies make me think of spring and summer, I found some design papers, one happened to have an old bike and the others had cursive writing...
(as though summer letters you would write to a far away friend).
I tore up the papers into different sizes and
layed them out on illustration board.
Working like this is completely different than sketching
out a subject and then painting it.
I enjoyed the design process of letting the paper create a
background effect and then started the various layers of the piece.
It was a different way to figure out the composition.
Next step was to add some strokes of acrylic paint in various colors and directions, but carefully allowing some of the decorative paper to peek through as another element to the background.
Then I was ready to incorporate the daisies...
I chose two daisies I liked best out of the photo and painted them in quickly with small brushes, trying not to worry about too much realistic detail.
Since I only had an hour for today's piece this process allowed me to think quickly in a new way. Keeping it simple and colorful was today's goal!!
I'm excited to try this approach again with some new pieces...
and using new techniques...
one day at a time!!
Follow your heart and let new ideas become something completely different!





No comments:

Post a Comment